Hawaii to ban sunscreen products linked to coral reef damage


Lawmakers in Hawaii, are set to ban the sale of sunscreens that contain chemicals linked to the destruction of coral reefs. The state legislature has moved to pass laws prohibiting lotions containing oxybenzone and octinoxate, believed by some scientists to contribute to coral bleaching. A ban could be brought into place by January 2021, if the bill is approved by the state’s Democratic governor David Ige. Around 3,500 sun protection products containing oxybenzone are currently available to consumers worldwide. Read more

 

Solvay SA has opened a Solvay Solar Energy-Jasper County – South Carolina’s largest solar farm. This helps meet the increasing demands from customers to source products manufactured with renewable energy. Last year Solvay agreed to buy all the renewable energy certificates (RECs) produced by the 71.4-megawatt farm for 15 years, with more than 250,000 solar panels covering an area as large as 500 soccer fields. Owned by Dominion Resources Inc, the farm was commissioned in December 2017. Read more

 

Monsanto Company said that its chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) Hugh Grant has intent to leave the company upon closing of Bayer AG acquisition. Bayer continues to target closing in the second calendar quarter of 2018. He is leading Monsanto as chairman and CEO since 2003. Over his 35-year tenure with the company, he has worked for Monsanto on three continents, managing key elements of the global business and helping to diversify the company’s products and solutions for growers. Read more

 

Brenntag AG has acquired a majority stake of 65 percent of shares in Raj Petro Specialities Pvt Ltd, India, by closing the first tranche. The agreement was signed in December 2017. With the closing, the two companies now enter into a 65/35 joint venture with the remaining 35 percent to be gained by Brenntag after a period of 5 years. Raj Petro Specialities, headquartered in Mumbai and Chennai, distributes its own-blended brands of petroleum-related products to diverse customer industries in India and other countries in Asia Pacific as well as in Africa and the Middle East. Read more

 

 

Advertisements